Did you hear the good news?! Less than 30 days until spring. You can’t see it but I’m doing an NFL touchdown dance. Even though spring is so close, it’s still so far. That means we’re still using our blankets until sunshine days really crank up the outdoor temperatures. Keep an eye on daily temperatures to make sure that you’re blanketing appropriately.
We wanted to give you the inside scoop on how to keep your blankets clean this spring. When you’re ready to store your blankets away or if they’re really dirty and just need a quick clean, it may be time for you to call Becca. Our biggest blanket hack is using Becca’s Squeaky Clean Equine Apparel to keep all our blankets squeaky clean. She does an amazing job at a great price!
I was super excited to find out she’s switching to Dr. Bronner’s Castile Soap this year. It’s a mild soap, that packs a huge punch when it comes to cutting through dirt and oil. Plus, it has many seals of approval such, fair trade, vegan, Non-GMO, and organic. Not to mention its even biodegradable! She will be stocking lavender, peppermint and tea tree scents. Becca’s been testing it and it has been safe for waterproofing.
Here is some of Becca’s blanket advice:
- Brush blankets off with a stiff bristle brush to remove caked on mud and dirt because over time this can degrade the canvas material as well as the waterproofing. Dirt and mud can act like sandpaper when the horse rolls.
- A small wire brush can help keep the Velcro clean and lengthens its life.
- Don’t wait for rips to get bigger before repairing them, the bigger the hole the less integrity of the canvas around the rip.
- Never use bleach or fabric softeners or hard detergents when washing your own blankets. Not only can it damage the waterproofing, it will also breakdown the fabric fibers over time.
- Always hang a blanket to dry if its wet- mold and mildew can ruin a blanket, as well as harbor nasty bacteria.
- Never use heat when drying a blanket- it can melt the blanket and ruin the waterproofing
If you have repair or laundering needs. Give Becca a shoutout today. Here’s her Facebook for more details. We honestly can’t recommend her enough, 100 Gold Stars to Becca. She even offers a 10% discount for any returning client, and repairs are always free with laundering. Schedule your repairs and laundering today!